By Robert A. Andersen
Algal Culturing Techniques is a finished reference on all facets of the isolation and cultivation of marine and freshwater algae, together with seaweeds. it's divided into seven elements that disguise heritage, media practise, isolation and purification options, mass culturing suggestions, cellphone counting and progress dimension ideas, and reports on themes and functions of algal tradition suggestions for environmental investigations.
Algal Culturing Techniques used to be constructed to function either a brand new textbook and key reference for phycologists and others learning aquatic platforms, aquaculture and environmental sciences. scholars of algal ecology, marine botany, marine phycology, and microbial ecology will benefit from the hands-on method for culturing various algae from clean and marine waters. Researchers in undefined, equivalent to aquaculture, pharmaceutical, foodstuffs, and biotechnology businesses will locate an authoritative and finished reference.
- Sponsored via the Phycological Society of America
- Features colour images and illustrations throughout
- Describes culturing tools starting from the try tube to outside ponds and coastal seaweed farms
- Details isolation strategies starting from conventional micropipette to computerized circulation cytometeric methods
- Includes purification, progress, upkeep, and cryopreservation techniques
- Highlights tools for estimating algal populations, progress premiums, separating and measuring algal pigments, and detecting and culturing algal viruses
- Features a finished appendix of approximately 50 algal tradition medium recipes
- Includes a thesaurus of phycological terms
Read or Download Algal Culturing Techniques PDF
Best oceanography books
The sequence covers new advancements in computing device know-how. so much chapters current an outline of a present subfield inside of pcs, with many citations, and infrequently contain new advancements within the box through the authors of the person chapters. themes comprise undefined, software program, theoretical underpinnings of computing, and novel functions of pcs.
This quantity is predicated at the court cases of the COSPAR/SCOR/ IUCRM Symposium "Oceanography From area" held in could 1980 in Venice, Italy. COSPAR (The Committee for area study) instructed conserving a joint symposium with SCOR (The medical Committee for Oceanic examine) as an enormous assessment of area oceanography.
- Water at the surface of the earth
- Atlantis, The Antediluvian World
- ICES Zooplankton Methodology Manual
- Evaluation of the Sea Grant Program Review Process
- Biogeochemistry of Marine Dissolved Organic Matter
Additional info for Algal Culturing Techniques
1932. Isolation in pure culture of green algae from soil by a simple technique. Plant Physiol. 7: 533–7. Starr, R. , and Zeikus, J. A. 1993. UTEX—The culture collection of algae at the University of Texas at Austin. J. Phycol. 29(2, Suppl), 106 pp. Tischutkin, U. 1897. Über Agar-Agarkulturen einiger Algen und Amoben. Centr. Bakt. Par. 3:183–8. , DeVille, M. , Day, J. , and Turner, M. F. 1995. Culture Collection of Algae and Protozoa. Catalog of Strains. Ambleside, UK, 204 pp. Watanabe, M. , and Nozaki, H.
1997, Watanabe et al. 2000) and on the Web sites for these collections (see Appendix A). 0. References Allen, E. A. , and Gorham, P. R. 1981. Culture of planktonic cyanophytes on agar. In: Carmichael, W. , ed. The Water Environment: Algal Toxins and Health. , New York, pp. 185–92. Andersen, R. , Morton, S. , and Sexton, J. P. 1997. CCMP-Provasoli-Guillard National Center for Culture of Marine Phytoplankton. 1997 List of strains. J. Phycol. ):1–75. Carmichael, W. , and Gorham, P. R. 1974. An improved method for obtaining axenic clones of planktonic bluegreen algae.
Bot. 49:1463–69. Morel, F. M. , Rueter, J. , Anderson, D. , and Guillard, R. R. L. 1979. Aquil: A chemically deﬁned phytoplankton culture medium for trace metal studies. J. Phycol. 15:135–41. Muggli, D. , and Harrison, P. J. 1996. EDTA suppresses the growth of oceanic phytoplankton from the northeast subarctic Paciﬁc. J.
Algal Culturing Techniques by Robert A. Andersen